[pianotech] Jan. 2009 Journal issue issue

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Thu Apr 9 06:18:52 PDT 2009

Jan. 2009 Journal issue issueDear List,

An addendum to my previous response... I checked back on the TT&T that David commented on (Jan 2009, Piano Box) and it does not mention the condition of lack of piano tilting space.  I stand corrected on that omission and subsequent assumption.  That being said, when being the sole experienced piano mover and working only with the customer, I will stand behind the 'piano box' as a safe and efficient method of raising the piano high enough to insert a (mover's) dolly.  I personally find that my risk of injury is higher while balancing a piano end high in the air and at the same time trying to maneuver a dolly underneath with one foot, or re-explaining to the customer how to locate the dolly or how to tilt the dolly to insert it.  (They seem to forget the latter at the same moment that you've got that piano end hoisted!)

David, I do appreciate your attention to safety and when an experienced helper is available we always use the full tilt method.  I install stage dollies exactly as you describe.

Debbie L.