[pianotech] Old Upright

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 06:45:44 PDT 2009

Since there are 41 posts including one of mine, on the original thread I
thought I'd start a new one.

When I am asked to refurbish, rebuild, redo, fix the felts or any of the
other myriad other ways customers ask you to "fix" their grandmother's,
mother's, great aunt's, etc. piano. I first try to ascertain what their
expectations are, do they want a musical instrument or something that looks
nice and plays OK. I then tell them it will most likely cost more than the
piano could ever be sold for.
I then do a quick mental arithmetic, I eschew calculators, IMHO they help
make your brain lazy, figuring everything a little high then adding in 10%
for anything I missed.
I look them right in the eye and throw the number at them, if they blink,
eyes widen in shock or they gasp in disbelief, I start re-assembling the
piano and packing my tools.
If they don't act shocked but instead say that's a little more than they had
planned on but after all it was mom, grandma, great aunt, etc. piano. I then
make certain to tell them it is more than the piano is worth, again, that it
could never be sold for the amount they would be spending on the work
involved.
In essence I become a fast talking salesman, trying to talk them OUT of
doing the work using every reason I can come up with for the particular case
involved.
If they still want the work done, I will then accept the job, with a clear
conscience because I know I will do the best job for them I possibly can and
if I turned them down someone else would, perhaps not as conscientious and
scrupulous as I am.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404