[pianotech] Commercial value vs. sentimental value

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic at ameritech.net
Fri Apr 10 13:28:18 PDT 2009

Dean May wrote: Isn’t that what we are supposed to be about?

Absolutely.  I always tell potential rebuild customers that their piano - which may require 10K + worth of rebuilding- will never sell for what it will be costing them and that if they are planning to restore and make a killing on the market to forget it. You can tell them what it would cost to replace with a similar quality piano but that dosen't make Grandmothers piano worth that. Common sense says that if we fully disclose the ins and outs of these jobs - in writing - and they are still willing to proceed, that we do it and do it well.

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic