[pianotech] Thomas piano

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 10 16:21:45 PDT 2009

Norm,

I have also worked on Linder pianos with plastic keys.  If your Thomas were
one of those, you would be asking where to get those funny parts that hold
the completely plastic keys to the aluminum keyframe.  They were made by
Rippen in Ireland, and I doubt that many of them are playing anymore.  My
database shows two Thomas consoles I have serviced, both built in 1967.  The
one I tuned last year was not awful, but I don't know if it had an aluminum
plate.  One thing I can tell you about aluminum plates is that temperature
changes make them expand and contract a lot.  If the piano is subjected to
changes that many people might consider normal, the tuning can fall apart in
no time.  The Pierce Atlas shows that Thomas Organ was owned by Whirlpool
who stopped production in 1982.  Then the trademark was sold to Plastishim
Corp in 1989.  Like so many brands, this name was built in many different
factories to different quality standards over the years.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter