[pianotech] Steinway

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 15:05:06 PDT 2009

If it's an upright, it's easiest to remove the action and whippens.  Clean
out the old glue and make sure the jack is secure, down all the way and
lined up before to the center of the butt before you figure you're done.
It's easy to think it's down all the way when it isn't.  Let it dry for a
while before you try putting it back in or you're likely to knock it loose
again. I like Tightbond Premium glue for that. But, I suppose others may
have a different preference.

For a grand, I assume maybe your talking about the jack tender that is
coming unglued perhaps?  A good regulation is in order.  If to much pressure
is put on the jack tender from poor regulation or to much after touch
especially on an older grand, they can break off easily.

I'd probably the action to the shop check them ALL and glue them back in
place being very careful to align them up seating them correctly and firmly
in place.