[pianotech] Commercial value vs. sentimental value

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 20:37:37 PDT 2009

It is one thing for a rebuilder with the?ability and credentials like?Del, Ron, David, etc., to rebuild a piano, regardless of it's original quality. But I'm afraid what is happening way too often,?are for?technicians who do not have the ability?to?do even the most basic repairs and restoration, claiming they can make the piano sound and look "like new", and convince the customer that?their "heirloom" piano will be worth thousands of dollars, when all they are doing is some cosmetic patch up, shape the hammers, blow out the dirt, and give?it a tuning. Although there are many technicians who have the ability to?do a lot more, for the most, unless a piano is completely "gutted" and brought back to life, in the long run, anything less than that is not worth it. At least that's my opinion. (flame suit on).

Wim

?