[pianotech] To restore or not to restore

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 21:54:44 PDT 2009

Wim - Excellent suggestions as to things to consider. The symptoms of the
potential problem areas were not evident.
 As far as action centers, operating the left pedal quickly several times
resulted in no hammers hanging up. Running my  thumbnail back and forth
across the tops of the hammer moldings revealed no wobbly hammers.
Striking heavy chords with the dampers raised, then releasing the dampers
quickly resulted in a quick cut off of sound.

I did check the bridges and there were no pins loose to the point where they
had shifted. Likewise, there were no rows of tuning pins with unusually
loose pins revealing a crack in between a row of pinholes.

As far as breaking strings while repinning, I just install a new string and
don't charge (unless it's a pitchup and I've advised the customer of the
hazard of raising the pitch and explained the potential cost of string
replacement ahead of time). Granted, unless my mind is drifting and I'm on
the wrong pin (which has happened), it's the string that broke, not me that
broke it, but I find it easier just to put on a new string, and avoid having
the customer thinking I'm trying to pull a fast one.

I guess my philosophy on what repairs to recommend, and what repairs are not
needed is to keep in mind the concept of diminishing returns. Is the repair
going to produce an actual and noticeable change for the owner, or is it
such a trifling improvement in performance that no change whatsoever will be
noticed? All the repairs I suggested for this piano were badly needed. If
one starts listing all the work that could possibly be done, whether or not
it's actually needed, one is padding the bill. For this piano, if I take on
the job, it's already going to cost more by far than what the commercial
value of the piano is. She knows what I think the piano would bring on the
open market ( I told her) and although she would never consider selling it,
she will take a look at what the same amount of money could buy new. I guess
at this point, the ball is in her court.

I've already read your later post concerning badly done "restorations" and I
couldn't agree more with your feelings in that regard. I have seen far to
many crappy "rebuilds" out in the field, which do  damage to the public
image of what piano restoration is all about.

I don't believe, however, that a piano needs to be "gutted," as you
mentioned, in order for a restoration to turn out well. Some times, leaving
well enough alone is the wisest course of action. But that's just my
thinking. Chuck