[pianotech] Wurzen conical Punching

Stéphane Collin collin.s at mobistar.be
Mon Apr 13 09:33:34 PDT 2009

Hi Ryan, hi Steven.

Ryan, I agree with you : in some pianos, the Wurzen conical punching proved
(to my ears and fingers) to be too hard, causing an objectionable knock on
wood sound and feel.  I had good results on a Steinway A, but not so on a
Bechstein or a Pleyel.  I ended up considering this punching as a “voicing”
tool, for the cases when I need a more focused attack sound.  It obviously
alters the thump part of the sound.  I agree that it certainly maximizes the
energy transfer to the strings (most probably, I think, through the key
knock energy transfer to the key bed, then to the case frame, then to the
sound board, then to the bridge, then to the strings), but there are cases
when this is not what you want.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.