[pianotech] TIght jack flange bushings

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 05:29:43 PDT 2009

Todd

A damp chaser will certainly solve most of your sticking problem in the long
run, but for immediate relief, you're going to have ream. But before you do
that, if you've got Protek, give it a few drops, and see what happens.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943
Author of:
The Business of Piano Tuning
available from Potter Press
www.pianotuning.com

Todd - I would certainly second what Wim has to say about Protek. I use it
liberally on both jack flanges and hammer butt flanges when they are
sluggish. A lot of time that's the end of the story, as far as future
problems are concerned.
Sometimes the problem with a jack that is slow to return, however, is the
jack spring having weakened with age. In that case, you might try undoing it
from the well on the underside of the toe of the jack and using a flat
bladed screwdriver to stretch it just a bit, or replacing it altogether.
Chuck