[pianotech] Aurally pure duodecimes and blatant self promotion was aurally pure octaves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Apr 15 13:42:42 PDT 2009

Hi Jeff

I just posted a copy of his aural method about a month ago.  There is
nothing spectacular here and most of it has been discussed under the
general catagory of P-12ths tuning since about 2000.  12th type tests
can be found in Rick Baldersens book On Pitch if I am not mistaken... if
not they abound elsewhere on the net and in the archives. A temperament
sequence for a 12th spread temperament region is easily enough imagined
and constructed.  If you want a starting point... tune D3 and A4 to a
perfect 3:1 12th.  Then tune octaves D3 D4 and A3 A4 so that A3 D4 4th
is acceptable.... and proceed from there.  Once you have the temperament
done... then just use the appropriate 12ths tests up and downwards.  Use
3:1 in the treble, and weigh 3:1, 6:1 and 6:2 in the bass.

Cheers
RicB

    No, I won't "just buy this damn peice of software". I am interested
    in the theory of your tuning. Buying the peice of software will not
    explain the theory. The associated aural checks for PureTuner might.

    --
    Regards,
    Jeff Deutschle