[pianotech] Broken plate

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Thu Apr 16 03:42:00 PDT 2009

Valuable information all, and now I have knot in my stomach...

I tuned my 94th piano on Tuesday morning - a Quidoz from Quebec built by
Willis - I pointed out a lot of issues with the pinblock to the customer
- cracks in front (top) lamination, laminations obviously separating,
plate coming away from the pinblock - I did inform the owner that a
stable tuning wasn't a reasonable expectation in the short term, maybe
never without pinblock treatment or repair/replacement. I also pointed
out that the piano had at sometime been "rebuilt & refinished" (in a
manner) - a surprise to the owner, he thought is was new when they
purchased it in '92, stunned when I explained that is was built prior to
'66. I explained that the cost of pinblock replacement, full regulation
and other repairs would easily exceed the replacement value of this
particular piano.

Piano was 30- 45 cents flat. I gently snugged up what plate bolts I
could get to and proceeded to pitch raise and tune. I had to pound in a
few pins that wouldn't hold, but I got all the way through with no
catastrophe. It was actually playable (I use the term loosely here)
compared to when I found it but it certainly needs a lot more work to
make it sound and play its best.

This piano is the size and make which Allan Sutton described and has the
frightening indications John Ross noted.

Should I alarm this client with the prospect a plate failure? Or should
I just leave well enough alone? I prefer to err on the side of integrity.

This greenhorn is grateful for any suggestions from his esteemed mentors.

Phil Manning

--

  /Artist Piano Care/
E X C E L L E N C E ~ F I N E LY  T U N E D

web: www.artistpianocare.ca
    tel: 416-907-3562
    cel: 905-626-3727
   phil at artistpianocare.ca