[pianotech] Subject: Re: Broken plate - things I forgot to mention

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 10:04:27 PDT 2009

Phil - A couple of things I forgot to mention the first time around. Before
you put on the clamps apply your glue liberally, using a long piece of scrap
veneer to work the glue down into the crevice. When you turn the clamps down
and they start to draw the thing together, tighten them like you would the
lug nuts on a tire, a little at a time, back and forth across the front of
the plate ( I ordinarily use 5 or 6 clamps) so that the plate and backing
are brought together evenly across the width of the plate. Once tight, wipe
any glue squeezed out from the top of the piano.

 It is at that point with the glue applied, and the clamps all the way down,
that you drill the holes for the bolts - otherwise you risk getting the
debris from the drilling down in the crack, hindering it from closing
completely. Put the bolts in and tighten down the nuts while the clamps are
still in place. I would leave the clamps on for at least a day or two before
taking them off, and to play it safe, I would let the glue cure for a week
before putting the tension back on the piano.

Sorry I forgot those things the first time around.  Chuck