[pianotech] Subject: Brands prone to breaking plates

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Thu Apr 16 15:39:35 PDT 2009

I don't know if the two Baldwin Acrosonics went with the expected bang as they were in their broken condition when I viewed them.  I tend to think that they went with a slow creaking over a few tunings.  Both Acros are from 1960.  The plate cracked across 4 - 5 hitch pins (you can see the empty holes in the photo.  The 'repair' pictured below (I'm not responsible for it!) made the piano tunable but rather wacky, tonally, in that area.

Debbie L.