[pianotech] commercial value vs. sentimental value - 2nd try

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Thu Apr 16 19:11:14 PDT 2009

This is where we differ.

I take this kind of project in stride and accept the job. However, I -
ALWAYS - have the customers consent and understanding that this is only
a partial job and, as such, can not guarantee the outcome of having a
descent piano afterwards.

That way I get paid for a job and they get what they asked for - with
the understanding that it's not really complete and not up to the
"standard" repairs.

Case in point, I got a job where the piano action was from a piano that
had been in a very dry environment for many years and did not have a lot
to put into it. That being said, I got the piano action home and the
more I would work with it, the more parts kept breaking - flanges at the
screw holes, damper heads popping off, jacks kept popping loose, etc. I
basically reglued parts as I went along and at the end charged them for
the hours.

When I started to put the action in, they mentioned seeing all the glue
joints. I said, thats all the places where the parts would break and I
had to reglue them together. Then reminded them that that is what they
asked for and that the proper way would have been to replace the parts.
They agreed and said, again, we didn't have that kind of money for that.
Also, that so many parts were glued that the was not guarantee on when
something else might break.

Bottom line, they were happy and I was happy with the job - with what
parameters they gave me to work with.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years