[pianotech] Brands prone to breaking plates

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 01:33:25 PDT 2009

    I forget the make 'cause it's been many years, but I think it was
Asian.  Anyhow, almost the entire tuning pin area looked like an aerial
view of a major earthquake aftermath.  Or maybe as though the plate in
the tuning pin area had been made of 1/2 inch - thick graham cracker,
before the pins were driven in.
    I'm not sure what caused it.  Maybe: a lot of impurities  in the
molten iron; possibly an interrupted or forced cooling; maybe being
dropped off the back of a truck, . . .
    Couldn't believe the owner thought it could still be tuned!
    --David Nereson, RPT