[pianotech] Understanding Aftertouch

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 18 05:51:52 PDT 2009

I'll speak as a technician and pianist.
Advanced pianist learned to enjoy a piano when they can feel a completeness through the entire movement of the action. Whether playing triple forte or ulta pianissimo, the pianist must feel a sense of completeness, void of any interferece or premature landing.  That's a pianist's perspective.

>From a technician's perspective, aftertouch is the margin of movement allowing the jack to go through let-ff in all types of conditions. The trick is understanding how to stay within the margin and not introduce and unwanted feel to the pianist. Having a secure understanding of action regulation gives one the luxury of "robbing Peter to pay Paul". In other words we can shorten the hammer blow to increase aftertouch. Or increase keydip to gain more aftertouch. Or raise the key height. These are all areas that can be fudged with to gain or reduce aftertouch. The problem begin when we take too many liberties in one area to gain in another. And thereinlies the crossraods that technicians must contend with.
Enter David Stanwood and his brilliant observations.
Due to incorrect geometry issues  which plague many reputable pianos from the factory, we as technciians are always trying to make actions perform better by compensating one area in order to improve another. Many times we are treating the symptons and not the disease.
Actions with incorrect key ratios will exhibit some inherant problems which will relates to the piano having gross limitations. Try explaining that to  an artist in front of a $100,000 concert grand on a major venue with 3 hrs before showtime.
The bottom line is that, as technicians, we have to learn what pianos feel like. That's why I'm a big advocate of playing the piano. And I mean really learning to play the piano. That's the best way to understand the pianist's point of view.
Lastly, understanding aftertouch is like cooking with salt. Using too little salt makes food taste bland. Too much salt is unbearable. Somewhere in the middle is a sweet spot of being just right.
It's up to us as technicians to find that sweet spot.
 Think of aftertouch in those terms and you'll quickly gain an appreciate of how this little nuance  affect a piano's feel.
Tom Servinsky