[pianotech] Understanding Aftertouch

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 18 12:27:07 PDT 2009

No, just my quiet thoughts.. You get my point.
Buy the way, today I was installing parts on a Baldwin action for an artist. As I was installing the front punchings (the Crescendo conical styled punchings) it occurred to me of the relationship aftertouch had with these type of front punchings.
I've always marveled at the qualitative feel these punchings have. Some refer to the feel as a definite landing. Some describe them in other ways.  I'm  now wondering if part what feels so  friendly is the tiny bit of fudge factor in keydip from ppp to fff play. At ppp there's still plenty of firmness, but at fff play, the firmness is there plus a little bit of cushion from the upward pressure. No doubt, these are all contributing factors which are figured into regulating, and more specifically,setting aftertouch.
Tom Servinsky
Tom