[pianotech] Project piano for you restorers out there .......

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Apr 19 15:21:48 PDT 2009

No Thanks...Didn't try it once. and was  still probably dumb as a newby
with great advise from my mentor to stay away from them....   I feel sorry
for the sap who buys this thing....Acetone and a match would best suit
this PSO.  I can just imagne the junk "under the lid!"  Where do we draw
the line?

And she said, "Old Autie Pat's upright means so much to the family. "It
was her wedding present back in 190X".....  I've had to "condemn" a few in
my career, and saw the tears and heartache...even after the son or
daughter put miles of effort into resotring "the finish".... or, in one
case a son who thought it cool to paint it 1956 oldsmobile blue!"
Wha.the....? It actually looked kinda neat.  He did a good job.....but the
insides were shot.....

Some techs may find this facinating to restore, but most won't. Unless it
IS priceless to the family..then STAY AWAY, put a flower on it, bury it,
and call it a day after wiping off the owner's tear''s!

It's a really hard thing to do, and have done it several times.  If it has
good ivories, buy it for a 50 bucks, get what ever else is usable and toss
the rest.

Paul

"James Johnson" <jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
04/19/2009 04:41 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Project piano for you restorers out there .......

Tried it once when I was young and dumb.  Never again.