[pianotech] Understanding Aftertouch

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon Apr 20 06:06:40 PDT 2009

Steven Hopp and friends -
I think your main question has gotten somewhat diluted by side
issues.  For example, any particular preference of tactile
characteristics of the various types of front punchings is, for the
most part, irrelevant, as is the question of any differences in the
orientation of a conical punching.  Nor do I think that observing
hammer rise is a particularly precise measure or way of understanding
the connection between the mechanical process and the player's
perception, though there it provides a definite visual correlation.

Read the recent thread titled "Erwin's Key Dip Gauge"  (2/27/09) for
a totally informative discussion.  While I might differ with some
thoughts there, the basic ideas are extremely enlightening, unless
you already knew it. I realized that most of what I was about to
contribute to your question seemed better articulated by some posts
in that thread. I came up with some experiments just to be able to
see and measure the effects for myself, but the questions about how
much aftertouch or how hard a termination is desired by a particular
pianist is distinct from (though related to) the fundamental mechanics.

The relevant issues are:
- What is aftertouch?
- How is it measured?
- What can a sensitive player perceive?
- What does a player want?

Aftertouch refers to the movement of key and action parts that occurs
after the jack ceases applying upward force to the knuckle.  Apart
from any other arbitrary parameter, the space between the proximate
side of the knuckle and what Steinway calls the Repetition Felt Block
(#38 on schematic) defines the range limit of aftertouch.   Further
travel will cause jacks to jam or possibly separate at the glue joint.

Apart from any issues of preference, the Wurzen punchings are
extraordinarily revealing about aftertouch and key dip, removing a
great deal of subjectivity to the expressed measurements. In fact,
applying a meaningful unit measurement to aftertouch requires a
defined start and stop point and, of course, a specific object to be
measure: the key.  An important point to remember is that the only
way to come close to achieving consistent dip with consistent
aftertouch is to begin with an extremely accurate key level -
especially when using Wurzen conicals.  That means employing .001"
and .002" paper at the balance rail, when indicated.

To experiment: with appropriate regulating applied (key level, hammer
blow, rep lever height, springs (roughed), jack to knuckle core, drop
turned down enough to allow let off, knuckle treated with teflon powder)
- (with damper raised) place leads on key so that jack will not
escape except for the addition of one additional gram, placed at
front.  Repeat for consistency.  You might want to tape leads in place.
- build up at front pin, using Wurzens and at least one cut punching
of a target aftertouch (others if there is space) in the range of
.020" to .040".  Fill in with card until almost at let-off. Continue
with thin paper until one white (.003") will prevent let-off.
- Withdraw one of cut punchings and assess aftertouch.  Too much? not
enough? Reinsert and pull different punching.

It's not a production method, but useful as a way of sensitizing you
to the differences in feel.  Of course, in reality, the density of
the front punching does make a considerable difference in the
'effective' aftertouch.  In more forceful playing, aftertouch is much
less of an issue than 'stop-speed' (hard or soft punching) or depth
(follow-through) sensation, but in softer playing, the uniformity of
aftertouch is more of the issue, along with, of course, the
transitional frictional differential in the actual let-off
process...another topic.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY