[pianotech] Boston Question

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 21 12:03:57 PDT 2009

Avery,

The most common cause I have seen for grands with unstable unisons in
the top 2 octaves has been poor string rendering.  Look at the string
path from tuning pin to v-bar to see what is causing the string to hang
up.  Some possible solutions:  Protec, heavy test blows, finding an
effective hammer technique.  The piano owner should be told that regular
tunings by the same technician will also minimize the instability.

Mike