[pianotech] Schwander Wippens

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Apr 21 17:15:59 PDT 2009

I really like this execution. Recently speaking with another tech I
was left with the impression that I was crazy for this preference,
siting 'heavy' and 'unstable' (Personal attributes notwithstanding).

I weighed my samples and yes. they were heavier by 2 grams - so what.
That's only 1 gram at the front of the key. That 1 gr is moot,
especially with an assist spring. As far as stability goes, I have no
problems with these in the field any more than conventional wippens,
they regulate well and have solved many geometry problems.

Also mentioned that, '...if they're not adjusted perfectly, there'll
be problems.'  ... Either I'm regulating these exceptionally well or
there really is no more of a problem with these than conventional
wippens OK, so this tech is not a fan of Schwander wippens. But I am.

I think it is the ultimate execution, repetition lever/jack tension
as well as lever height are adjusted easily from the top, quickly.
Expedience is crucial with any labor intensive endeavor.

Ron Overs is spot on with his execution and I anticipate installing
his action in many pianos; but digressed momentarily...

Can someone dissuade me from this aforementioned ridiculous  course
or does this other tech have preconceived notions.
--

Regards,

Jon Page