[pianotech] What's in WD-40?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 07:32:02 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM, David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>wrote:

>  Should have read more carefully.  Definitely to be avoided!
>

> David Love
>
> www.davidlovepianos.com

The dealer I used to tune for changed hands shortly after I began tuning for
them, as aprivate contractor. The new owner had been in construction,
streets, parking lots, paving that sort of thing.
I guess it was about 6 months after he bought the store, he traded in an old
upright with rusty tuning pins but not too bad otherwise. I had been there
tuning something else the day they brought it in and looked it over for him
and told him it was OK. It just needed tuning, a little regulating and lost
motion adjustment. When I came back to do the work the pins weren't rusty
anymore!
You guessed it, he "cleaned" them up with WD-40, I told him it would migrate
into the pinblock and make it untunable but he sold it any way.
The kicker to the story is the woman he sold it to now wants to give it
away, they're moving and called to see if I knew anyone who wanted it!

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404