[pianotech] The Little Engine that Could

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Apr 23 15:18:00 PDT 2009

To the List:

I've just started my second soundboard installation on a Steinway A.  After
some sensitivity training, I removed the soundboard from the rim with my
trusty 2 x 4 and sledge hammer.  When I got to cleaning up the rim top of
old glue and residual tone wood, I tried something a little different than
my first board.

I started by sopping the wood with water and chiseled off as much of the
spruce as I could without cutting into the maple rim.  Then I proceeded to
steam short sections with a SHARK steamer that I bought at Kohl's for $40.
This little steamer looks like a tall coffee pot with a tapered conical
spout that has a very small opening at the end.  So it will direct a fairly
strong jet of steam at the target in a pretty focused manner.

It was great for loosening and wetting the remaining wood fibers, making
them easier to remove.  You could also see it liquefy and start moving the
hide glue scum, making it easy to scrape it off the rim top.

It also made it easier to clean out the rib notches.  And for cleaning up
the underside of the bridge.

I think it made this cleanup go a bit faster, but what I most liked about
this tool was how clean I was able to get the surface without disturbing it
too much and hacking it up with my chisels.

I am guessing others have experience with such steam tools, and perhaps have
greater insight to share.

Will Truitt