[pianotech] WD-40

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Apr 23 20:39:03 PDT 2009

Ryan Sowers wrote:
> I've always heard it's a no-no on pianos but I haven't heard exactly
> why. I know some technicians who use it. What is the main downside of it.

It's a petroleum distillate that evaporates down to a thick
goo in a short time - a "fix" that dramatically shortens the
service life of the parts. I'd call that a downside.

> Another lubricant I've seen other techs use is LPS-1. An old mentor of
> mine used it for a lot of piano related lubricating so I used it for a
> while when i was starting out. However, I noticed that most high level
> technicians were not using it so I stopped. Anyone have thought on LPS-1?

http://www.apexvalve.com/uploads/LPS_1_Greaseless_Lubricant.pdf
It's a petroleum distillate too, "greaseless" or not. I'm not
familiar with this stuff first hand, so I can't say if there's
a downside to it's use.

Ron N