[pianotech] unusual english piano

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Apr 24 15:17:50 PDT 2009

Indeed, it's so true about the veneers, some are really lovely. Strange, in a way, that those old 'cottage' pianos were in every other way so poor, when the casework finish was so good!

There are lots and lots of birdcage pianos in my area, of varying ages and qualities. This has been discussed here before, but production of birdcage action pianos went on in England up to the 2nd world war. And there are birdcages and birdcages. I think of a couple of truly enormous old Bluthner birdcage uptights I used to tune - magnificent things, and a different thing entirely from the little 1880s "cottage" pianos.

Occasionally you find a really old cottage piano that still cuts it, in a way. I think of one I used to do near here, which although it was very tinkly-pinkly, was strangely satisfying to play.  It was amazingly EVEN, so although light it was predictable and you didn't have to fight it.

Best regards,

David.