[pianotech] Piano window

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Apr 26 11:26:07 PDT 2009

Subject: [pianotech] Piano window

> Hi,
>
> Thought you folks might appreciate this.  The window above the piano is
> (was)
> called a piano window, says the owner of the house.  She says they made
> these
> windows JUST FOR an upright piano to be placed beneath.  Pianistic
> architecture, how cool.
>
> John Dorr
John,
Right she is. Here in Mass. I see these windows often in the nicer victorian
homes .
 The rooms are usually used for dining or TV  now and that one high window
is usually a mystery to the owners. I had an older client tell me the piano
has always been under the piano window and since then an architectural
historian confirmed.
This figures as the piano was the only entertainment center of the period
and the lighting was generally poor.The more windows the better.
 Great post.
Tom Driscoll