[pianotech] concert pitch

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 28 07:18:32 PDT 2009

Seems to be mostly A4=440 although some traveling orchestras request
442.  I keep the non-climate controlled D at 441 per Steinway
recommendation for ease of accommodating requests.  More so because
shining hot lights on it and filling the hall up will quickly bring
the piano back to 440 and even lower.  I've thought about keeping it
at 442 but this 5yo D already has an obvious (finger in your eye) case
of STDD and increasing tension only exacerbates the problem.

I keep the climate-controlled one at 440 and the stage-manager has
been thorough about keeping it plugged in.  It doesn't drift, probably
because it is already warm when the lid is opened.  Interestingly
enough, it is about the same age and doesn't have noticeable STDD.
Maybe a stiffer batch of spruce or perhaps, the Dampp-Chaser system
does what it is advertised to do...

Andrew Anderson