[pianotech] Steingræber Phoenix to the National

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Apr 28 15:01:18 PDT 2009

Boy are you folks who plan to attend the National this year in for a
treat. I noticed in this months journal that the Steingræber factory is
going to bring over an example of their Phoenix concert grand with
agraffe bridge terminations and a carbon composite soundboard. I got to
see one of these a couple years back at the Nordic in Helsinki.  Very
similar in many regards to other instruments using the bridge agraffes.
But the inventor of these particular agraffes makes a very good case for
there being developed quite a bit more solidity to the contact between
string and bridge with his system.  And this is the only composite
soundboard I've yet to see.

I think several of the folks thinking along new design lines are going
to enjoy picking this one apart.  Enjoy !

RicB