[pianotech] West System Epoxy as filler/wood rebuilder

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Apr 29 07:32:13 PDT 2009

Yes.  Don't use any filler and don't "fill" the holes.  Just brush it
lightly over the top and around the holes (you don't need much around the
top edge), wipe off the excess on the bridge top and in the notches and then
lightly ream the hole with a toothpick to make sure the holes aren't
actually filled up.  You need some of the hole open so that your drill can
use the old hole as a guide when you redrill.  When it's hardened redrill
for #7 in the capo, #8 in the tenor, #9 in the bass.  Lightly fine sand the
bridge top to smooth out the hardened epoxy (I assume you've already sanded
out the string grooves before you applied the epoxy).  Recut the notches,
insert the new bridge pins, tap them down to the new height (don't file
them), and then put a drop of thin CA at each pin.  Mask off and shoot with
clear lacquer.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com