[pianotech] CONCERT PITCH 440/442?

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Apr 29 17:01:06 PDT 2009

Probably me. This was the approach I took some years back when I was faced with
a similar problem. I had (have) no problem tuning pianos to whatever pitch the
artist/orchestra wanted as long as they were willing to pay for the extra work.
I didn't think it was fair for them to expect me to absorb the cost nor did I
think it fair to pass it on to the piano owner (the auditorium).

Once we (I and the auditorium) adopted this policy it became a rare thing to
tune to any pitch other than the Internationally recognized pitch standard of
A=440 Hz.

I took the same approach with requests for voicing changes that were (in my
opinion) outside the norm. I would accommodate what I considered to be
reasonable requests without comment. Some requests, however, would have required
extensive lacquering and/or radical sanding to accommodate. When faced with the
potential cost of replacing the hammers after their one-night performance the
demands for radical voicing changes diminished substantially.

"Artists" also tended to take more care in setting up and performing their
"prepared" piano pieces when they realized--per a signed document--that they
would be held financially responsible for any damage their "preparations" did to
the auditorium's pianos.

This approach saved everyone a lot of argument and misunderstanding. It was all
fairly simple; we would accommodate any reasonable request without discussion
but when the request cost the owner additional money (or had the potential for
doing so) the financial obligation fell to the person or organization making the
request.

ddf
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant