[pianotech] More Bohemia is now outside

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Wed Apr 29 22:28:47 PDT 2009

Am 30.04.2009 um 03:38 schrieb Alan Forsyth:

>  "twelfth spanner tool "
>

> Long long time ago when I was at college and trying to learn to tune
> double octaves, I invented for myself what I called a
> hexadecidigitool to play the two notes simultaneously. Hexadeci (16
> = 8x2), digi (as in digital referring to fingers) and tool. It took
> a bit of thought to work out how the tool could adapt to both
> naturals and sharps. It's all gone now but I can quickly assemble an
> exact replica if anyone wants a photo. And don't anyone dare pinch
> my name hexadecidigitool, or Cop E Wright from New Mexico will be on
> to you! :-)
>
> Bernhard, I do think you should change the terminology. In the
> English language spanner refers to a specific tool; "Spanning" would
> be more appropriate in the context of bridging between two notes.

Alan, I am not sure if there is still some misunderstanding:
With bridging between two notes you mean not playing two notes
together with a tool as you have done with yourdouble octave tool? By
the way Bill Bremmer used the term "spanner tool" for my tool on a
pianoworld thread about my tuning.

I have a photo of the tool i am talking about:

http://www.piano-stopper.de/html/onlypure_tuning.html
The length of the tool is appropriate to reach duodecime (twelfths) of
all white and black keys combinations.

Bernhard Stopper