[pianotech] CONERT PITCH 440/442

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 30 05:24:57 PDT 2009

At Calvin College here in Grand Rapids, we simply say nope.  We have 2
Steinway D's and one 9' Bose for our concert stuff.  They are all tuned to
A/440.  Period.  The voicing is such that it brings out the best possible
for all pianos.  That too, we refuse to change for every musician that comes
along.  If they don't like it, oh well.  However, most are happy with it and
occasionally request a little tweaking here and there which is not a problem
so long as it is not a major tweaking. That's the rules of the college and
me as head tech at the college.  They come, play, accept it, are happy,
never had a complaint yet and when they leave our hammers stay in decent
shape for much longer periods of time.  Otherwise, as mentioned, it's a good
way to wear out a set of hammers very quickly.