[pianotech] CONCERT PITCH 440/442?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Apr 30 10:08:52 PDT 2009

I've been doing this for several years now... but am slowly but surely
being pushed to leaning heavily towards 442.  The internationally
recognized pitch thing is a defacto non-thing.  Even Jazz players from
the states are accepting 442 over here now... mainly because they end up
having  to pay for the pitch drop and raise. True enough... there is
some piece of paper signed by some international standards committee
back in 1930 something.... but todays pitch ranges from 440 to 445.
Vienna symphony is at 445 now I understand after being at 444 for many
years.

Its just another one of those facts of life I've given up getting all
bent out of shape about.

Cheers
RicB

    I am beginning to like the idea of leaving the piano at 441.  Close
    enough to 440 and 442...

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA  94044