[pianotech] Action Centers

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 30 20:32:27 PDT 2009

Matthew, unless I missed it your question has not been answered.  The normal
gram resistance for a hammer flange center should be 5 to 8 grams.  Steinway
uses less.  As others have said, consistency is of primary importance.  Of
course you will want to disconnect the spring from the cord to take the
measurement.  In this type of hammer flange the swing test does not work as
well as the gram gauge.  In other applications it is arguable which works
better.  If you are consistently measuring 4 grams, I would not repin the
whole action.  If you measure 10 or more, you want to try shrinking,
lubricating, or repining.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter