[pianotech] Tight tuning pins

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 3 08:47:18 MST 2009

The material Baldwin used for pinblock material was designed for motor
mounts in minesweepers for WWII. Impervious to water and heat. It is a fiber
reinforced resin product, and therefore no longer resilient.

resilient [r?'z?l??nt]
adj
1. (Physics / General Physics) (of an object or material) capable of
regaining its original shape or position after bending, stretching,
compression, or other deformation; elastic

If we open the holes too far, It may not re-form tight enough to hold the
pin well.

Ask Del Fandrich about it sometime if you want to hear a sad (and funny)
story about Corporate America trouncing science and common sense. I'm hoping
they won't force the Chinese factory to use the same misbegotten material.

David Stocker, RPT
Fir Tree Piano
Tumwater, WA