[pianotech] New Weickert Felt hammers in BB Mason

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 11:37:48 MST 2009

 Fellow hammer heads
  I have the new "Weickert special felt" Hammers from Ronsen in a 1976 Mason BB. The piano is tuned & up to Pitch & has the dampers in. No string string leveling or Hammer mating to the string yet and the sound full & clear with tonal range & power from top to bottom. No juice will be needed in these, I will do some needling up the cup line with a no. 2 needle to open them up a bit more. A technique Compliments of the Jolly Rodger
 No pre-needling either. A no six needle goes in with a firm resistance. The wonderful aromatic smell of this felt tells me it is not heavily processed with bleaching. Sticking a single needle in the shoulder yields a similar resistance as it does thru the cut side of the hammer. For me it felt is strong and uniformly interlocked.
 Been checking this kind of thing for years and the needles often go in the hammers shoulder with one fell of resistance but most often the needle goes in differently thru the side. The gradient of stiffness of the Weickert hammer is different. A More uniform feel of stiffness/density.
   Rays is doing a wonderful job in the final filing & hammer shape down beautifully as well. See the picture. He has a new way of cutting the felt strips which is producing the beautiful uniform shaped hammers. see pic
 This latest felt Batch From Wurzen/Jack Brand is the final development & in my opinion he has got it right. We are hearing many positive comments from rebuilders.
  Oh, by the way I put a Weickert hammer in the "Erwin-Davis Flex-O-Meter" and squeezed it so visual of the hammers movement could been seen and felt when compressed. The pressure it takes seems is very non-linear. A good strong feel
 The Weickert Felt revolution may be coming to a coming to a piano near you soon
  I'll have a set in a 20's Stwy O soon and give another round of feedback.
   Regards
  Dale