[pianotech] Somewhat OT Re: maps or GPS

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 23:23:30 MST 2009

    Ah, the heck with most [note, I said 'most', not 'all'] of
these expensive hi-tech gadgets!  I like maps -- they work just
fine.  Besides, after 30 years I know the territory, have the
street rotation memorized, and pride myself on my ability to
find a place without the aid of a satellite.  Tried MapQuest for
a while, but it took just as long as finding it on a map and was
wrong too often!
    Don't need a cell phone, either (contributes to the
hectic-ness of life; is an excuse for poor planning and
last-minute schedule changing; it's just another thing demanding
my attention, and another dang monthly bill to pay, and I don't
want to be seen as a member of the crowd -- almost everyone--
who is oblivious to other people, vehicles, children, and
bicycles around them because they're always on the phone or
texting or checking messages while they blithely run lights,
fail to signal, don't see the pedestrian or the emergency
vehicle, hog the middle of the road or the aisle in the grocery
store, gabbing away loudly, unaware that somebody's trying to
get by, because they're on the phone, i.e., absent from
reality).  By the way, has it been proven yet that frequent use
doesn't cause hearing loss in the high registers?
    --David Nereson, RPT