[pianotech] Stolen Tools

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Fri Dec 4 15:20:53 MST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 5:58 AM, pianotech-request at ptg.org wrote:

> From: David Trasoff <david at davidtrasoff.com>
>
> My tool case was the victim of a smash and grab this morning, in Northeast Los Angeles. It was my day-to-day kit; tuning hammers, voicing and regulating tools, utility tools. I'm sure the meth head who got the case has no idea of what any of it even is, but if anyone sees a bunch of tools coming up for sale in the LA area, especially if it looks like the person selling them is not legit, please contact me off list at david at professionalpianoservice.com or 323-255-7783. Thanks.
>
> David Trasoff

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about the theft of your tools.   I will add one piece of advice to those already given.  You are probably correct that the thief won't know or care what your tools are.  Because of this, there is a fair possibility that he/she/they(/it?) will discard them.  I was robbed once, and the thieves threw my wallet out the window after removing my credit cards and paltry cash sum (sometimes it pays to be poor).  It was recovered by a person walking his dog about two blocks from the robbery site otherwise intact, and returned to me.  A friend of mine had the same thing happen to his tool case, which was recovered from a hillside near the robbery site, if I recall correctly.  So, I would recommend that you drive the roads near the robbery site, and get out and investigate any overgrown or abandoned areas, especially near any likely egress routes.  Of course, your personal safety is more important than tool recovery, so only do so if the neighborhood is a safe one.

Hope you find them,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh