[pianotech] stuck damper upstop rail

Jude Reveley (Absolute Piano) juderev at verizon.net
Sat Dec 5 11:58:19 MST 2009

All the "vintage" Masons I've seen have those 1/2" brass brads. Once I made
the mistake of not reinstalling the brads and found the rail kept slipping
no matter how hard I tightened the screws down. Not sure off hand why this
is endemic to Masons and not Steinways. Angle of the bellyrail, lack of the
felt strip backings, perhaps? At any rate, make sure that once you regulate
the stoprail, either nail it back in or throw some washers behind the screws
if you have the clearance.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
www.absolute-piano.com