[pianotech] choice of hammers

Brian Wilson wilsonpiano at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 5 17:08:32 MST 2009

Dale and David,

Thanks for your replies. I will try to keep this short. David, I agree that hammers do change, I was pointing to the fact that there is service work to be performed after installation and playing. Same as servicing a new piano. And yes, there are many inpenetrable hammers out there which we have to try and service.

Dale, you are correct that I am not that experienced in voicing softer styles of hammers. That is a cultural differnce in our work, which I find refreshing. We all know that whatever technique we apply to a hammer, being needles or lacquer, it affects the sound. You are used to building up the tone, and your ear accepts the felt plus hardener sound. I find the lacquer to add a certain sound.  The building up of tone plus hardener would maybe help with some of the problems I encounter with hammers in humid climates. However just as you have encountered problems with hard pressed hammers, I have encountered lacquered hammers that would be best descrbed as rocks. Unvoiceable to me.

The German hammers which I described in an earlier post can be improved by adding lacquer in different areas. Adding lacquer in the staple area will help with the fortissimo, whilst the playing in will help with the other "holes in the sound". With other hammers with a harder staple (pressed) area and a little more firm all over, I can perform voicing as I have been taught and achieve the result I am looking for.

My initial request was for a hammer that was for my own piano, however it is a search to find hammers that I can use on other pianos.. i.e customers. I did not want a hammer that I had to soak to achieve a better sound. I tried as much as possible not to suggest that lacquer is against my internal beliefs.

My exposure to hammers and voicing is from the traditional German methods. I did learn some "hammerkopf lack" techniques from these methods, however voicing with needles has been my main technique.I have no problem in hitting a hammer 100 times each side with 3x7mm size 6 needles, some  this list would be horrified.  I am open to new ideas with softer hammers, hence my first request.

I also live with "you get what you pay for".

May I also add a quote "the ear is trained by what it hears most of" or something very close to that. As much as the factories assume that we WILL voice their pianos, they will also discuss different ways of hiding flammable hammer hardener in luggage for air travel.

David and Dale, although this thread may have been seem to be a debate, I have found it informative and as also provided differences in rebuilding techniques and culture. I do try extremely hard to choose words that may not be taken out of context. A face to face discussion would be fun.

Enjoy your Sunday and regards

Brian