[pianotech] Mason hamlin cracked soundboard

khg58 at aol.com khg58 at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 09:26:46 MST 2009

I am new to this list. And somewhat new to piano business. I bought a used. MH for about 300. Want to restore. So as I start down this journey. On about an 1890 piano. I had keytops. and bushings replaced. Now I notice a long split or crack about 2 ft  along the sounboard. Can it be shimmed somehow. Without replacing sboard. If so what is that process? I assume I have to pull all the strings in that area. Also wood surface. Laminate appears to be pulling away from base wood. I am going to try to inject some glue in small holes I create and pull it tight with boards and clamps. Anything wrong with that approach? Thanks in advance for advice. And your time.

Keith