[pianotech] Mason hamlin cracked soundboard

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 18:02:31 MST 2009

Depends on whether you want to fix the crack or fix the sound.  If you want
to fix the crack there are many choices from shimming to filling with epoxy
fillers and honestly it doesn't really matter that much.  If you want to fix
the sound then you are on another path indeed and a soundboard from 1890 in
all likelihood needs to be replaced.  A more experienced person should
assess that before you embark on something that might end up being
relatively useless except as an exercise in shimming or fixing cracks.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com