[pianotech] Agraffe Reduction

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 10:44:23 MST 2009

With the modern agraffe with a beveled foot you don’t really need to do
that.  You can turn the agraffe easily ¼ to ½ turn once it bottoms out and
the cast iron against the thin edge of the foot will do the reduction for
you.  If you are using an older agraffe with a flat bottom you need to be
more careful otherwise you stress the stem joint.  Another reason to replace
rather than recondition older agraffes, especially since some of the older
agraffe stem joints are already stressed to the point of being weakened.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com