[pianotech] Replacing plastic elbows

Warren & Cindy Stieg wscs75 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 12:52:47 MST 2009

What's the big deal?  Vagias elbows work great, and they'll probably
last longer than the average spinet anyway.  I always replace them
with the action in the piano.  Just take a pair of needle nose pliers
and break out what's left of the elbow (not much) in the whippen.
Unscrew or crunch the other part left on the lifter wire, screw on a
new elbow, and adjust accordingly.  Yes, I've replaced all 88 that
way.  Before I learned about these elbows I replaced them with wooden
ones at home.  What a pain!
Warren Stieg