[pianotech] Knabe spinet with damper issues

bppiano at aol.com bppiano at aol.com
Wed Dec 9 21:55:18 MST 2009

I had a very frustating session today with a relatively nice Knabe spinet.  The thing tunes well enough but the over ring is totally unacceptable.  I tried everything I know to do.

checked and adjusted damper alignment from every perspective
check for damper follow after pushing in the strings
pedals were unconnected and still the ring
made sure the upper and lower felts of the bass section were engaging the strings simultaneously
checked damper string tension and they were consistent
I added additional damper travel into the strings and adjusted the spoon timing

Still no improvement

Tomorrow, I'll try new damper felts on the first damper of each section of damper configuration - single string, bichord, trichord and flat felt just to see if there is improvement.

First off, what is the ballpark average for damper string tension?  How many grams before the damper head moves?

Second, is there an alternative to installling new damper felts?

You suggestions will be most appreciated.

Bruce*not much good with upright dampers" Pennington