[pianotech] Pre-tuning preparation

pianofritz50 at aol.com pianofritz50 at aol.com
Thu Dec 10 14:16:02 MST 2009

Hi Al, I'd guess I'm in the 15-20 minute category of prepping before the tuning starts if I've never tuned that piano before.  I want to look it over, ask questions, maybe pull the lower panel, play a simple piano piece, chromatic scale to check each note & key's action, etc.  (Most of these 1st time pianos need a pitch raise, which costs extra, anyway.)

If I HAVE tuned the piano before, I'm probably more like 10 min or less, unless the client wants to talk more.  Hey, it's their buck, though I generally wouldn't charge extra for that.

I do have a backpack w/ my necessary "20 tunings" tools (as Randy Potter calls it).  My extra tool kit (for that 21st tuning/repair) is left out in the car.  That sure facilitates getting in & out of the house easily.  And of course, after 40-50 tunings I have to go thru that backpack and take OUT tools that haven't been used in awhile, lightening it up.  And as far as recording the temp/humdity, I just have the indicator sitting on my open backpack, and do the recording as I'm putting everything away in it's little compartment.

I use the backpack that an older article referenced, and I'm very happy with it:  http://www.duluthtrading.com/69094.aspx  It even has a elastic pouch on the side for a small Gatoraide bottle.

PS  I use a Verituner PocketPC (and Spurlock holder) which easily runs on battery for at least one tuning if not two.  I also do unison tuning as I go, which eliminates the time needed to strip mute the piano.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays...   Bill Fritz, St Louis