[pianotech] Question about an old action damper and jack

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Dec 11 05:50:50 MST 2009

>Can you send a pic of one of them. I have no idea what they look like
>and have several pianos (S&S's) needing them now.

Change the extension on the attachment to <jpg> to view the photo.

Here's what is listed in the S&S Parts list:

008655     REPETITION SUPPORT SPOONS                  Set 65.00
008787     FLY/BALANCIER REGULATING SCREW        Set 15.00
005126     FLY/BALANCIER REGULATING BUTTONS    Set 18.00
007275     FLY PUNCHINGS - RED                                 Set   9.00

You could also salvage the parts off of junked vertigris laden repetitions.

>Wouldn't I have to disassemble each repetition and (build a jig
>to) drill for each adjuster and spoon?   This is not a high-end piano...
>current owners are waiting for the economy to turn around before they
>downsize, and they don't want to sink a LOT of money into it.

Make a drilling jig and drill for the spoon through the bottom, the jack
screw hole through the front. No disassembly required.

If the piano is not worth that effort then fabricate new jack rest felt
blocks from grand hammer rest cushions or damper felt blocks.
This is the easiest approach.

Regards,

Jon Page