[pianotech] hot box dimensions

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 13 10:01:19 MST 2009

David Love wrote:
> What does it actually mean, "oil filled radiator" and how do they work?  Do
> they need an outside energy source (plug in)?  I'm not clear from your
> description, is the radiator actually in the box or is the warm air from the
> radiator pumped into the box somehow.  I suppose I should look at one in
> person.  The search descriptions don't do much.  I guess out here we don't
> really use these types of things like you guys in snow country.

I just googled "oil filled radiator" and immediately got eight
pictures, any of which would do. It's an electrical resistance
convection heater. Instead of the element being out in the
open (dangerous) and visible, it's in a sealed tube inside the
unit - like a dampp-chaser heater bar. The heater tube is
surrounded by oil, which distributes the heat very uniformly
to the fins. The idea is getting a uniform dispersion of heat
available, to the widest practical surface area, to heat air
passing between the fins, without the fire hazard associated
with previous systems. These things don't get hotter than the
heater bars we put in pianos, and no one seems too concerned
about them starting fires.

I have a radiator built into my box, as in drawing. The air is
blown down through the radiator, and comes up through holes in
the false floor the panels sit on. The door is in the right
end, full height. Plugged in, the fan runs continuously, and
line voltage to the radiator is controlled by a thermostat
just inside the door.

Ron N