[pianotech] back rail cloth, (was of replacing keytops)

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Dec 13 15:33:51 MST 2009

 HI Ed
 Trix and I consulted and we've not seen one from this time period in original condition that wasn't glued down!  Are you sure they were Steinways? LOL
 M.C.  (Merry Christmas)
 Dale

Dale writes:

  >>BTW All vintage Steinway had the back rail glued on both sides. We still put it back that way.  There is always an underlayment of  red felt & sometimes a shim of the  red colored oil board that Steinway has used forever. The back of the key always stops precisely with out bounce and the hammer line doesn't wander

  I am not sure about the "all" part of this.   My experience with many Steinways from before 1920 is that the back rail cloth is usually not glued at the back. I am speaking of untouched pianos.  I haven't noticed any less stability with it done this way, and, it seems to lessen the noise.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT