[pianotech] Refinishing ebony sharps - methods used?

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Dec 14 06:47:57 MST 2009

Hi Chuck,

For non-ebony sharps, I usually sand to p220, then wipe on trans-tint dye,
diluted in alcohol.  Once dry wipe on a couple coats of polyurethane.  For
ebony sharps, simply clean as necessary, if really bad, sand them (up to
p400), then hit them on the buffing wheel.  Accentuates any grain (which I
like) and really looks nice.  Simple and effective.

William R. Monroe

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Chuck Behm <behmpiano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone - I've been asked to write an article for the Journal
> describing procedures for refinishing sharps, and I would like some
> input.

SNIP